Problem or Situation Addressed
the problem with society is that we are not equal and i wanted to share with everyone why that is a problem
- Patriarchy- how globalization, shaped by a very patriarchal mindset, a capitalist, patriarchal mindset, has actually aggravated the violence against women, that we are living in a very violent economic order to which war has become essential– war against women’s bodies, war against local economies and war against democracy. And I think we need to see the connections between all these forms of violence, which impact women most. http://www.democracynow.org/2013/3/8/vandana_shiva_on_intl_womens_day
- Valuative discrimination – The case involves 1.5 million current and former female employees of Wal-Mart who filed suit in 2001, saying they were allegedly paid less and promoted less often than their male counterparts. http://www.democracynow.org/2011/3/31/supreme_court_hears_weighs_massive_suit
- Sexism- “Online harassment, especially gendered online harassment, is an epidemic,” Sarkeesian says. “Women are being driven out, they’re being driven offline; this isn’t just in gaming, this is happening across the board online, especially with women who participate in or work in male-dominated industries.” http://www.democracynow.org/2014/10/20/women_are_being_driven_offline_feminist
- Gender roles- Even within the white-straight- couple-only paradigm — she can’t be taller; he can’t be shorter. She can’t be bolder; he can’t be gentler. https://www.ted.com/talks/trevor_copp_jeff_fox_ballroom_dance_that_breaks_gender_roles/transcript?language=en
- Gender expression- in Europe, the dispute has tended to focus on how much skin women are allowed to show. Now, though, it is about how much skin they are required to show. http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/headscarf-debate-shows-women-s-clothing-still-a-battlefield-a-1111474.html
- Glass ceiling- You can always tell ambitious women by the shape of our heads: They’re flat on top for being patted patronizingly. And we have larger feet to stand away from the kitchen sink.http://www.ted.com/talks/dame_stephanie_shirley_why_do_ambitious_women_have_flat_heads/transcript?language=en#t-387419
- Second shift (double burden)- If you work for me, and you have a family issue, I expect you to attend to it, and I am confident, and my confidence has always been borne out, that the work will get done, and done better. Workers who have a reason to get home to care for their children or their family members are more focused, more efficient, more results-focused. https://www.ted.com/talks/anne_marie_slaughter_can_we_all_have_it_all/transcript?language=en#t-285330
- Doing gender- for example a man holding the door open for a woman it’s the gentlemen thing to do. Weather it’s based on being respectful or unconsciously thinking women are the weaker sex and need help. Experiencing Sociology
- Gender division of labor – In seeking and identifying employees with high potential, the potential to go to the top of organizations,the skills and competencies that relate to that green box are rated twice as heavily as those in the other two elements of leadership. These skills and competencies can be summarized as business, strategic, and financial acumen. In other words, this skill set has to do with understanding where the organization is going, what its strategy is, what financial targets it has in place, and understanding your role in moving the organization forward. This is that missing 33 percent of the career success equation for women, not because it’s missing in our capabilities or abilities, but because it’s missing in the advice that we’re given. http://www.ted.com/talks/susan_colantuono_the_career_advice_you_probably_didn_t_get/transcript?language=en#t-23820
how my picture related to my theories is that the loading bar is half full and i wanted to represent that women have some rights that men have but not all of them. but the world is getting there.
How did you make it?
I used Photoshop and i looked up load bars and incorporated that with the whole world black and whiting the world map to say that it is a blank slate but with the load bar it is slowly adding rights that women didn’t have before
Advice to Others
maybe be more creative when performing this idea. rather just have two images together. also make sure you have all ten ideas