Problem or Situation Addressed
This poster deals with a situation where there is a group of girls and a singular girl. The girl who is all alone begins to question some things about herself. She wonders if she should change the way she is and looks to fit in with the group.
- George Meade’s “me” and “I”
- Looking Glass Self
- Sense of Self
- Social Control
- I-“spontaneous, impulsive, creative, and unpredictable” (Experience Sociology by D. Croteau and W. Hoynes 153).
- Me- “learned from interaction with others” (Experience Sociology by D. Croteau and W. Hoynes 153).
- Looking Glass Self- “refelection of the way we think others see us” (Experience Sociology by D. Croteau and W. Hoynes 153).
- Sense of Self- “thoughts and feelings you have when considering yourself as an object” (Experience Sociology by D. Croteau and W. Hoynes 153).
- Social Control- “The incentives and punishments that promote conformity in social life” (Introductory Sociolgy Reader Howard Becker 95).
- Outsider- “One who cannot be trusted to live by the rules agreed on by the group” (Introductory Sociology Reader Howard Becker 94).
The I is represented by how the singular girl looks and the Me is represented by the other version of her she sees in her thought bubble. The looking glass self is represented by the girl frowning when she sees the group because she believes they think less of her because of the way she looks or acts. Her sense of self is developing throughout this process while she tries to decide if she really wants to be her I or her Me. And the group of girls are socially controlling her without knowing it by not socializing with her causing her to be an outsider. Which this may be another reason the girl wants to change, so she is not viewed as different from everyone else.
How did you make it?
Basically the idea just came to me while we were having a discussion in class. I colored a poster board then on a separate board I drew the girls and thoughts and cut them out. I colored them and pasted them onto the poster. I made their eyes out of some kind of circle thing. I really don’t know how to explain them they’re just like crafting stuff. I know it looks like trash but I’ve never taken an art class and I cant draw, sorry.
Advice to Others
Don’t wait till the last minute and stress yourself out about it. Also you have to present it in front of the class which sucks but it wasn’t too bad.